Friday, April 1, 2011

Spring Break!

So spring break was a week ago, but like everything else right now, I'm a little late.

I thought a lot about past spring breaks last week. Last time I was in school was in 2002 grad school but our final spring semester was our Practicum, so I was living with Jeremiah and working as a naturalist in a canyon in Los Angeles. It's still one of my most favorite jobs and leaving there was a huge "path not taken."  Since that semester was a real job, there was no spring break.

In 2001 I was in grad school for my Mexico semester. I can't remember if we came back to Arizona or California for the start of our Spring Break, but I remember that Jeremiah drove out from Los Angeles and picked me up so we could spend my break together. I don't remember what we did but I think I volunteered and was an extra in movies.

In 2000 there was no spring break because Jeremiah and I both graduated from St. Mary's College one semester early (though we returned to walk in the spring 2000 graduation ceremony). By spring break we had returned from our travels in Europe and were probably on our way cross country to live in Los Angeles.

In 1999 we had my last official fabulous spring break. I volunteered with Habitat for Humanity's Spring Break Away project and we helped with building a new house in Spartansburg, SC.  It was with a bunch of good friends (and some crazies), with Jeremiah as the team leader (or Overlord, as he changed his official title).  Such funny memories came from that week!

So now I was at my next spring break and did I party hard? Not at all. That was the week of playdates, catching up in school, doing laundry for the upcoming baby, and having meetings for J.'s preschool's Green School Application.

I am pleased to say that I finished the Green School Application with days to spare and though the final due date was today, I turned it in on Sunday night! I had to volunteer last week to do some last minute activities with J.'s class in order to get photos of all the Green things that her school does.  And there were a few things that I was waiting on other people to get but I made the call to skip that part so I wouldn't be held up.  Other than these last minute things, the enormous word and powerpoint documents were finished requiring a lot of time (for weeks) but not too much effort. And thanks to the meetings, other people added cool Green things to the preschool that we didn't have before, like dual flush toilets, a rain gauge, and classroom snack composting! I'm very proud of the school and very happy that I finished that project!

Do I know how to party or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment