Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Book of Jeremiah

Check out Jeremiah's campaign ad (that isn't running anywhere but on youtube, but still...).

I think that this past weekend Jeremiah had one of those experiences that you just know would happen some day, but you didn't know how. Like, I just know that someday I'm going to give CPR to someone bc I've taken CPR training classes for the past 17 years but never had to use it. So some day I will and then I'll be like, FINALLY.

Anyhow, Jeremiah got to preach from the book of Jeremiah at church last Sunday. FINALLY.
He was invited on a visit to three different local all-black churches this past Sunday along with 2 other political candidates. At two of the three churches, the day's reading was from the book of Jeremiah, part 31 (we live in district 31). So when the pastors invited the guests to stand up and speak, Jeremiah got to do his thing. I hear it went something like this:

Good morning! (Good morning.) My name is Jeremiah Chiappelli.
In the bible, the Lord called upon Jeremiah to speak. (yes he did!)
The Lord told him to go to the people and speak. (oh, yes he did! amen! Praise Jesus!)
Now, it was a lot of work and he did not want to. (no, Jesus!)
Jeremiah worked hard but the people did not want to listen. (no, they didn't!)
But he was called to speak and he did the hard work anyway. (yes he did! hallelujah! amen!)
My colleagues and I are with you today, ready to do the hard work and we hope you're willing to send us down to Annapolis to speak for you. (oh yes we are! amen!)


Maybe it was a little different- I wasn't there to hear it. But I hear he got a great reception each time. And this was only a snippet of the major sermon that Jeremiah truly is prepared to give at a moment's notice about the bible's book of Jeremiah and how it correlates to day's society (and a bunch of other stuff).

I am just pleased as punch that he got to stand in a church and preach about the book of Jeremiah and have people shout back Amen! while he was talking. I can imagine Jeremiah as a boy, full of political ambition even then, rereading that book over and over, and seeing his future in those words.

As we all know, it doesn't end well for biblical Jeremiah. He is left feeling deflated and frustrated and probably totally mad at everyone for ignoring his good ideas. Which is also very much like my husband on a daily basis! The educated man's burden!

I just wish I could have been there on Sunday or that someone could have caught it for youtube. It makes me smile just imagining it!

*PS- exactly 2 weeks until the very final election day. First day of early voting is this Friday. Holy Crap!*

1 comment: