Sunday, August 8, 2010

Some Good Things

Well, one good thing is that our garden is taking care of itself. We lost a lot of things with the scorching heat, including our peppers and squash.  But the cucumber play house worked out and Cassie's Flower Garden is as wild and beautiful as we could have hoped!


And this weekend we had a date night! Our friend Lisa Y. needed to come to this area on Saturday for a bridal shower and she offered to come the night before to give us a date night. Uh, yeah!!!! 

This was so super needed bc we had a rough few weeks. I had stress from the campaign signs, Jeremiah had a week full of different difficult trials, and we all got sick.  I've been on sudafed every day for nearly 2 weeks! Jeremiah's voice is gone (and all his campaigning and door knocking isn't helping).  And the girls started snotting and coughing mid-week.  

On Friday I had to cancel yoga class so I could take C. to the doctor. I knew she had a cold or some sort of amped up other cold virus. I wouldn't normally take them to the doctor unless I thought they needed anti-biotics (and even then only if truly necessary). But she started coughing herself awake day and night and coughing till she threw up. The doc gave me two different inhalants for the nebulizer but otherwise we just have to let it run it's course, like I figured.  

That night was the night Lisa was coming to babysit and I called to give her the chance to cancel. She is a pediatrician and mother of two little ones. On her night off the last thing she would want to do is to hang out with sick little kids! But she wanted to come anyways.

It was nice to leave knowing that the sick kids were in the most capable hands imaginable. A fellow mom who knows and loves our kids and is a pediatrician to boot! She took good care of them. What kind of a person gives away their free night- when she could have gone anywhere and done anything she wanted- to someone else? We are so grateful. You rock, Lisa!!!!

We had a nice dinner at the Stoney Creek Inn, a local restaurant where Jeremiah knew the owner, several customers, and a fellow politician who dropped in (who is running for county council). It was funny being with a big fish in a small pond. It's so small that there's no point in getting a big head about it. But I used to know all of Jeremiah's friends bc they were mine too. It's fun to be introduced to new people and see evidence of his life beyond me. The fellow politician, whom I've met before, greeted me by calling me "Mrs. Jeremiah".  I guess I'll take that right now!

The next day Lisa joined us at our "appearance" at the Pumphrey Day Festival.  Once again we didn't have all the information needed so we were late/lost/in the wrong place. This time it's bc our internet unexpectantly stopped working for only the crucial time. Figures. But anyway, we missed the parade but made it for the festival part afterwards. The kids loved watching a clown/mime/unicyclist performance, eating snow balls, and watching the marching bands and step performances. For a little while there were other politicians there also but eventually we were the only ones still hanging out. The festival organizer came and said hi and commented on that fact. I guess it pays to show up late- you end up standing out! Jeremiah of course handed out all his cards and it was a nice family campaign event.  

Lisa- babysitter extraordinaire- rocking the campaign shirt at the festival!

Put our weekend of festivals together with the 3 nights that he volunteered at the carnival this week and suddenly the word "campaign" means something very different to the girls! This morning he had to come home after only knocking a few doors bc his voice is so gravely and hoarse. When he got back, the kids asked him how the carnival was. They know he was "campaigning" but they think it's lots of fun and games now!

No comments:

Post a Comment