When my Grandmother stayed with me while I had my cast on, she told me that I had a problem with hoarding containers. Boxes, baskets, tupperware, bags. I defended myself in full confidence bc you always need containers and they come in handy and this is a way of reusing packaging, which is important to the Earth. I have no problem.
And then she said "then why don't you reduce what you have by getting rid of everything that doesn't fit into that cabinet." And I realized, I just can't do that. That would be wasteful and one day I would regret it bc you never know when you'll need just the right container or another bag. Deny, Deny, Deny.
So that has sat with me all summer and I finally faced it. I guess I'm hoarding containers. I have no idea why, other than the above reasons. Being an eco-minded person, you end up keeping junk around for reusing purposes. I'd need to try to reduce my container input instead, but that's hard! We buy a lot in bulk from BJs and it's all extra boxed. We have lots of food that comes in plastic containers that work again just fine after they're washed. And with so many close friends and relatives living far away (and with our love of all things Amazon.com), I keep and save lots of cardboard packing boxes. Plus the new Green craze has everyone giving out reusable bags, no matter how inefficient the size or cheap the production. So I can't pass that up!
And another thing- we have no reason not to. We have the room! Tons of room in this big house with only 4 people living in it. Stockpiling is as good a use as any!
I mentioned my issue to my sister Cecylia and she suggested that I just clear out the old jumble and reduce my amount to some nice, matching things. And then keep it that way. Not a bad idea.
So last week I bought a big 48 piece set of Tupperware from BJs and yesterday the kids gave all 48 pieces a big bubble bath for me while I went through the old stuff. I matched lids and then recycled everything without a lid/bottom and with a food product stamped on it (by filling up the big box that the new Tupperware came in. I did not save it!). I kept the 5 nicest old Tupperware and put the rest into the Goodwill bag. Now I have a 53 piece set and my goal is to not add anything.
This might also help me return other people's tupperware easier. If someone gives us or leaves tupperware and it gets accidently reshelved with ours, it's lost in the pile forever. I'll never remember what it looked like or whose it was. So if you think I have some of your tupperware (Heather?), feel free to take my 5 nicest old ones- they're probably yours anyway.
Next up: the cardboard boxes in the basement, the plastic bag cabinet, and the stacks and stacks of glass and plastic baby food jars (given to me by my friends bc I asked for them. Can you believe that they were just going to recycle them? But they could come in handy!).
Oh, you make me laugh! I have no idea of what tupperware I've given you. But with all things tupperware, I give and don't expect it to be returned ;) However, you've just inspired me to go through my tupperware cabinet and do the same! Love you!
ReplyDelete