It was frustrating to watch the three delegates from my district vote the opposite of what I was thinking based on the debates. No one was going to listen to what I had to say that night. But they get to push the voting button and light up the board "red" or "green", making huge decisions! And they are supposed to represent me but they don't. Frustrating!
We were invited there last night as guests of District 32's Leadership (they inherit the Democrats of our district since they have elected democrats and we don't). We had a little reception before the session and we got to shake hands with lots of delegates, candidates for county council, two new Circuit Court judges, senators, Senate President Mike Miller, and Governor O'Malley. There were candidates for delegate and senate there too that I met.
Jeremiah knew all of these people and when it was his turn to introduce himself, he used that time to give me a shout out and point me out to everyone. I had a nice time talking to everyone who wasn't running for anything- people who are active in Democratic clubs in Anne Arundel County and the husband of a District 32 Delegate. And it was really nice to be there with Jeremiah and watch him work the room. He did a great job! I felt very shy at first but then after meeting everyone, I realized that they're all just regular people who are interested in politics. Sure, some of them are in office, or running for office, or used to be in office, or ran for office and lost. But as honorable as their titles may be, they're not intimidating as people. Maybe a bit boring...
Best Moment of the Day: I took C. to a free gymnastics class today (bc J. wanted one and so I got them both one and C.'s came first). She was amazing! She was moving along with the songs even though she'd never done them before. She was following directions well even though she's never been in any class other than yoga. She tried almost every single thing that you could try. And she responded well to the teachers who helped her (unlike a certain sister of hers who would shy away from that at that age). She did great swinging on the rings, doing balance beam stuff, and learning forward rolls (she almost has it completely on her own after one class!). She was eager to try the zip line into the foam block pit (who wouldn't be?) but she let go too early and face planted into the foam blocks. Still, I'm proud that she recovered well. She's just so confident and daring!
Worst Moment of the Day: I did a bit of research into my sister's new job and discovered that it's a pyramid scheme, albeit a legal one. I had to give her the bummer news and still try to be encouraging. I submitted to sitting through a sales pitch on it on Thursday in order to help her out, despite knowing all that I know. I'm taking one for the team (her).
Thoughts of the Day: I'm still processing my experience at the legislature last night. It really makes the whole Delegate thing a lot more real. I met one of our delegates in the hallway and talked with him a bit, though I've said hi to him before. No big thing. But then when I see him sitting in the midst of all the state's delegates and think of how much responsibility he has, he kind of transforms into an important person.
It's very weird and I can't decide how much respect I feel for him and the other delegates. Like, they make such important decisions, but then also, they're just regular people who I don't agree with so how can I respect them an incredible amount? I also wonder how that will translate when it comes to Jeremiah becoming a delegate. When these people become his colleagues, will I think of them differently? With more respect or less respect, or what, since I'm already seeing both sides of the coin on that.
and if he doesn't get elected in this election, how can I possibly stand to go on another 4 years knowing the slate that represents me and knowing that my views are not expressed at all on all these important issues? Here is where I stop my line of thinking and take a deep breath and remind myself that my life mantra is "Be the Change that You Wish to See in the World." I can not run from it. I must endure and create an example. (I am so noble I'm sure you could all just puke.)
No comments:
Post a Comment