Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Conflict of Interest

Twice today someone has begged out of my proposals, citing a conflict of interest. It's very frustrating. It doesn't conflict MY interests!  

First, I finally got enough nerve to call some local dance studios and the one and only local yoga studio to talk about renting their yoga studio for my Itsy Bitsy Yoga classes in the future. I like where I'm at now, but the space is a bit small and I have to move all the tables and chairs before and after each class, which takes up a lot of extra time (plus I have my own kids under my feet, loose in a pottery store. think about the stress!).  It is good for me to explore my options for the future. I haven't heard back from the dance studios, but I got a call from the local yoga studio. 

At first she was super nice, but then when I told her all about me and everything, her voice changed and she said it might be a conflict of interest and she'd need to talk to some people first. I explained that I wasn't a yoga teacher and mentioned that her children's yoga teacher teaches from age 4 up, whereas I only teach from birth to age 4. Sounds like a fit to me, not a conflict.  But I don't think I have much hope there. That's a disappointment.

Then later I got an email from a local photographer who I asked to donate a portrait gift certificate to Jeremiah's fundraiser's silent auction.  She and I are facebook friends bc she did our family portraits last spring and we've seen her around town some and said hi. She's also a photographer for the local paper that has slighted Jeremiah's campaign.  She said she's close personal friends with all three incumbent candidates and she feels it's a conflict of interest for her to be involved with Jeremiah's campaign. My face got red with frustration upon reading that. Then I emailed back "Maybe next election then! Thanks!".  Another disappointment.

Best Moment of the Day: I was very efficient at work this morning and that felt good. We had a babysitter come for the morning- she had to leave for a doctors appointment or we'd have kept her all day!  The kids were good for her and I got home during quiet time so I was able to continue with a bit more work!

Worst Moment of the Day: Hearing "conflict of interest" twice and feeling like my pathways are being blocked.

Thoughts of the Day: We had a power outage right at bedtime tonight.  Lasted about an hour.  The kids were not quite in bed and they were a bit freaked by the deep blackness.  So we all 4 cuddled together and Jeremiah and I took turns making up silly bedtime stories for everyone.  Then the kids asked to go to bed despite the lack of night lights, which I thought was very impressive.  Jeremiah and I came down to the couch and were "forced" to cuddle and talk for awhile. It was nice. Once the power came back on, we had our to-do lists again (plus a recap episode of LOST on tv which I really wanted to watch in preparation for next week's season premiere!).  

Cuddling without electricity reminds me of camping and how much I miss it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment