Jeremiah wants me to let everyone know that we have our cable back. He thinks I jumped the gun by starting to consider watching things on the internet. We're happy to be back in 2000 technology where we feel safe. Thanks to everyone for your concern.
Today was J.'s first day of preschool. She seemed so smart and polite and patient compared to many of her peers! Of course, she also was way shy compared to them and during the final hour, way cranky. So we all have our strengths... She was way cranky bc she was awake for several hours in the middle of the night. We think it was nerves! In the year and a half that she's had her own bedroom, this was the only time that she's ever crawled into bed with us in the middle of the night. She was so tired all day- she was even yawning at preschool. Tonight she's already had one night terror. Poor overtired little baby.
Anyhow, she had fun and then was fussing about not wanting to leave afterwards (which I bribed away with promises of a new development in her little world- After School Snack!).
I found out after arriving that we were supposed to stay with our kids all day during this first day. Whaaaa????? I had a tired C. in my arms who wanted to tear that room apart and a car full of groceries waiting for my 3 hours of preschool/nap -> alone time. So I called in the reserves. Luckily, Jeremiah was already back from court that day and in his office, 5 min down the road. He came and took C. home in my car, put away the groceries, and then did a decent amount of work from home with his Blackberry until we got back.
I thoroughly enjoyed being with her though. It was exactly like hanging out at the Children's Museum except that everyone was really pushing to get their kids to be friends.
Best Moment of the Day:
During storytime, the teacher asked "did any of you get help from a friend today?" and J. actually raised her hand (where did she learn that? I let kids call out in the classes that I teach and I thought that was her only exposure to a classroom! Must be "Arthur" on tv or something.) and then said "my mommy helped me" very confidently. I was beaming all mushy gushy. Awwwww....
Worst Moment of the Day:
see above, but imagine those 5 min before I called Jeremiah and instead was going to try to make my current situation work. C. needed her nap so badly and I had some dairy products in the car so it had to be done.
Thoughts of the Day:
I think I've got my scheduling issues straightened out. No, that would be wrong. I have them IDENTIFIED, not fixed. It's a hot mess (which is really such a wonderfully descriptive term. I don't use that term lightly but I love it.).
The crux of my issues is that I promised my really fabulous and dear friend that I'd watch her daughter for her before preschool on Tuesdays and Thursdays through December. This means that I can't work on those days, even if I found a babysitter that could take J. to school on those days. It also means that I can't teach my required community classes of Itsy Bitsy Yoga on those days bc I have to be home in time to be ready for preparing the girls for lunch and school. This leaves me with Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays to deal with. My other fabulous and dear friend is my sitter through December and she can't do Wednesdays. So that leaves me with Mondays and Fridays.
As it stands, there are few events at the preschool happening on Fridays that I will want to attend so I will take those days off of work. Also, in October, I will be teaching my required community classes for IBY on Monday mornings at the Children's Museum and I want to try to bring the girls with me for that, to test it out while the pressure's not fullblown yet. (I don't expect that this will go well. Nothing inspires jealousy and a quest for attention like watching mommy coo over someone else's child's achievements.)
Therefore, there will be some weeks when I'll work on Monday only, or Friday only, or maybe sometimes both. This is not good for the paycheck, I know. But I just don't want to lose my yoga certification and I don't want to back out on my friend and I'm locked into this preschool calendar now. So I'm going to use my vacation days from work. We'll deal.
And, yes, I have every single day from now until after Christmas already planned out. Crazy. Stressful. But this is the only way that I can have it all. I will be relieved in January when I might make some changes at work, know what I want to do with teaching yoga, and won't be restricted from working on Tues and Thurs (provided I can find a sitter who can watch C. and also transport J. to preschool at noon). I have no idea what will happen for me in January. I might make more permanent changes regarding work. But until then, I'm fully scheduled.
So if you want to hang out with me in the day time during the next 4 months, let me know now and I'll schedule you in. Otherwise, you'll have asked too late!
Let me know if I can help out. I can probably pick up a Wednesday here and there but don't know with my own work stuff and travel schedule if I can commit to every Wednesday.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I'll check in with you as I see each scheduling conflict arise. I totally understand that you can't commit to anything regular.
ReplyDelete