This is the third problem with incubation that we've had this year! The first batch of chicks that were designated as ours were being incubated in an elementary school classroom. Well, the kids must've been too into the eggs or something bc they didn't hatch. The second batch of chicks that were designated as ours belonged to a friend and again there was some issue and they didn't hatch. What the frick?
So we ordered 4 Easter Eggers chickens (they lay blue or green or pink eggs) and 4 Dominique chickens (they're black and a Heritage Breed) from www.mypetchicken.com, thanks to a recommendation from my friend Kate. I ordered them back in early June and scheduled them for this week. How great is that?
But when I got the phone call on Monday, they said that there was an incubation problem! Weird! Not enough of the Easter Egger chickens hatched and could they send me a single chicken of a different type instead? So I agreed and we have one Red Star chicken too.
We're so happy to have them. The kids were so super excited to get them- it was a big surprise. After all these times of counting our chickens before they hatched, I didn't want to say we were getting chickens until they arrived, I opened the box, and I counted 8 alive one-day-old chicks.
best moment of the day: I got highlights in my hair this morning. But the best part is afterwards when she blow-dried my hair. I LOVE a nice warm blow dry.
worst moment of the day: Trying to load 190 square feet of hardwood flooring into my car. The problem is, it was like 100 degrees in that parking lot and I was trying to keep clean for work. And my car was already packed with two car seats, a double stroller, two waxy cardboard boxes for the CSA, a bag of cement, an aquarium lid, and my work bags. (of course)
thoughts of the day:
I'm only just today recovering from Tuesday. I worked until 9pm and then went to a 12:01am showing of the new Harry Potter movie with some friends. It was so much fun! I dressed like Luna Lovegood which was really all about the dirigible plum earrings (red modeling clay) and a Deathly Hallows necklace (pipe cleaners). Tons of people were also dressed like characters from the movie. It was fun to dork out.
Anyhow, the next morning I took the kids on the DC metro and we toured the Smithsonian Natural History Museum with Jessie, Herb, and their boys. That was logistically tiring. Lots of elevators. And maneuvering the double stroller through the Atrium Cafe with a crying kid in one arm was not cool. Not cool at all. But the kids liked riding the train and seeing the dinosaurs. I liked talking with Jessie and I look forward to the day when we can relax with margueritas and chat for hours without having to hold anyone or feed anyone or keep anyone from eating something gross.
Wednesday night I went to bed early!
My thought is, I'm too old for midnight movies.
Yeah, congrats on finally getting your chickens!
ReplyDeleteI think it's awesome that you can use that expression literally. Next work on: there's more than one way to skin a cat.
ReplyDelete