We loved watching the Baltimore fireworks from the roof of our old house in Baltimore. Then our first year here we loved watching the local fireworks from our roof of this house.
Now with kids trying to sleep, we're not so excited about the fireworks. One fireworks display is enough for me.
Secondly, I totally split my middle finger open along the fingernail and it really hurts. It's puffy and bloody and hurting and I keep banging it on things. Makes it hard to type. And hard to do everything else too.
I just had to point out those two things because they're making me very cranky.
On the plus side, we totally evicted C. from our bedroom! She's out of here! Thanks to Lisa and James' reassuring words on how your kids are going to say you screwed them up no matter what you do, we took the plunge and picked this way.
J. has a super big bedroom with a walk in closet bc she was supposed to share it with her younger sister. But she's a sleep walker with night terrors and wakes up easily.
And C. also wakes up easily and looks for any excuse not to sleep and gets up stupid early all the time. So they are not compatible, no matter how many times we try and how long we wait.
The spare room is smaller with the ceiling drop down stairs to the attic, which is a bit creepy, and just isn't as cool as J.'s room. But that's the only other bedroom on this floor and we're not splitting floors at this age. So C. gets the tiny room. And I hope things change again somehow before she can resent it. Maybe we'll be real jerks and force them to switch rooms every few years so that noone's happy. Or maybe we'll put something amazing in C.'s room that J. doesn't have. Or maybe we'll just do nothing and tell her to save it for therapy.
At any rate, beginning tonight we have our room all to ourselves for the first time since we moved here when J. was two weeks old. She shared the downstairs bedroom with us until we built the upstairs bedroom and she moved into her own room when she was 2. But we were already pregnant by then so for that one month before C. was born, we had no child in the crib in our room. But we still weren't alone bc there was an 8-month-gestated baby in our bed too.
Tonight is a whole new world. With no one standing in a crib, screaming at our faces from one foot away during the night. Ahhh.....
best moment of the weekend: bottle of yuengling at a campfire, watching the kids eat homemade ice cream and playing the harmonica and didgeridoo
worst moment of the weekend: a freakout long discussion with Jeremiah about doing house projects this summer. But that's another story.
thoughts of the weekend:
Too busy for thoughts. We had four 'Fourth of July' cookouts this past weekend (I only went to three. I sat one out to try and get C. to take a nap which was really just 90 min of on and off crying again. Sheesh, she's having a hard time lately.) We had a really great time at each.
Plus I worked today and did a program for Kids Under Five which involved four kids under 5 and three kids over 5, so that was an unexpected challenge. I think it was fun though. J. had a good time!
Plus we moved most of the furniture in our house to set up a new bedroom for C. and move the spare room furniture out and make a new spare room downstairs. Whoa. Lots of planning and dusting and sweeping and moving.
Plus we worked on lots of house projects like the final sanding in the new edition and weed wacking more bamboo, of course.
But all of these are actions, not thoughts. Which was my point.
The thoughts that crept in amongst all the goings-ons were very tired and feeble. What they told me was that this is the type of schedule that we can expect next summer when Jeremiah's in the final months of his campaign and needs to be shaking hands and doing social circuits and giving talks. It will be very tiring and I wonder how much of it we'll have to tag along for.
And also, these cookouts were with friends and family and totally not about politics. And yet it came up at each one. And I hope that my friends know that we're coming to hang out with them bc we like them and not to get voters.
Because at one party, someone made a comment about 'not needing to meet those people since they're moving and they can't vote for you'. But I wonder where the line will be drawn and if people will feel like they're being used if politics comes up when we're with them. It's that uncomfortable area of knowing you're going to need to ask friends for something (their votes) but being worried that they'll resent you for it.
I think the best answer is for people to want to vote for him and to want to be a part of the politics! But for those who don't, I hope it doesn't get uncomfortable. You'll tell me, right?
gotta talk to you about night terrors...wm started them too! if you want me to come over and paint/decorate c.'s bedroom, i'm yours!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI want to vote for him, and I don't feel like you're pandering for my vote. So that's one! But seriously - there is a certain train of thought that suggests you have to be a bit of a sociopath to seek or win political office. So - suck down that guilt! You want to people to know Jere, you want people to like Jere, and you want people to elect Jere!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I have a couple of comments:
ReplyDeleteI was one of three with two bedrooms. I always shared - until my older sister moved out, of course, but I switched who I shared with...a lot. Among the tree of us, we always changed our rooms. My mother wouldn't even bother asking when she saw rooms being dismantled, carried down the hall and reassembled. For one brief period, my younger sister and I pushed our twin beds together to make a California King bed and shared it! My other comment is that I would never think that you are using me for votes, in fact, I would like to offer to host a campaign get-together at my place...anytime!